Tropical Slow Cooker Jamaican Stew
I find that ethnic foods are really easy to enjoy as a vegetarian because rather than emphasizing portion sizes, salt, or fat content, they really take advantage of complimentary flavors. An obvious great combination is the sweet potato and cinnamon. Another delicious flavor combination is the curry powder and coconut milk. This recipe sounds complicated but it’s another sneaky, easy crock pot recipe. Definitely try this one!
· 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
· 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 cups sliced baby carrots
· ¼ large onion
· 1 sweet potato, peeled and diced
· 2 medium-sized tomatoes, diced
· 2 tsp. curry powder
· 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
· Dash of cinnamon
· Dash of nutmeg
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 2 (16 oz.) cans pinto beans (or kidney as substitute)
· 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
· 2 cups vegetable broth
1. Chop up the garlic, carrots, onion, sweet potato, and tomatoes and combine in a bowl. (I did this the night before so the next morning, it took me 5 minutes to place everything into the slow cooker).
2. Pour the oil into the slow cooker and start heating. Stir in all the spices and heat.
3. Add the remaining ingredients.
4. Reduce heat, cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.