How to practice sustainable agriculture
in college and still have time to study.

Wednesday, September 4, 2013

3 Essential Appliances you must buy for Cooking in College


3 Essential Appliances you must buy for 

Cooking in College

1)    Slow Cooker: No complaints about being too expensive because a slow cooker starts at $17 online at Walmart.com! A slow cooker is inexpensive, efficient, and requires little/no effort in cooking! They are designed to be left alone which is perfect for a college student because we typically leave for class in the morning and return about 6 hours later.. starving! Not only will you have food in your house, you’ll have a lot of it. So, freeze the extra soup or casserole you made and safe it for a later time!  

2)    Electric Kettle: The electric kettle is also just as amazing and is $23 at Walmart. Like a slow cooker, an electric kettle does not need a watchful eye in order to boil water. Forget worrying about burning your house down when you no longer need to use your stove to heat water. This appliance is super handy because you use boiling water for almost everything: making tea, preparing pasta, dissolving broth, adding to oatmeal. Super handy!


3)    Microwave: This might be too obvious for me to state, but I think that college kids forget the range of activities that a microwave can assist you with! The least expensive microwave at Walmart is only $15.75. What a steal! If you have a microwave, you don’t need an oven to cook. Don’t believe me? Here’s my proof of what I’ve made in the microwave: steamed vegetables, chocolate cake, popcorn, boiling water, cheese bread, toast. Plus, you can always nuke a frozen dinner if you are in a time crunch. Peta's Vegan College Cookbook has loads of recipes whose highest degree of cooking includes using a microwave.


I hope this list has helped you out. I can personally say that I use my slow cooker 3 times a week, my electric kettle 14 days a week, and the microwave 7 days a week. And remember that I have roommates who also use these appliances, so regardless of the investment you make, know that you’ll get a lot of use out of these.

Note: If you are going to be cooking frequently, weigh the quality of the appliances versus the quantity (price) of it. You might pay a little more for an appliance that will last longer!

Go ‘Hoos!




2 comments:

  1. Great appliance!
    Thanks for sharing. These seems to be one of the best home appliances. I love Panasonic home appliances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my must have in my kitchen is my food processor which makes things very easy for me.

    ReplyDelete

I am always open to suggestions and feedback! Thanks! :)